Missing items/folders in Group Policy Editor(gpedit.msc)
I was having a problem with the Group Policy Editor, gpedit.msc, for quite some time. When i open it up, i dont see most folders and items that are necessary for an admin. All i see in the User Components > Administrative Templates is Windows Components. There should have been 6 other folders, like Start Menu and Taskbar & Control Panel, along with it.
I searched the net for some time and all i got from Microsoft is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555218. And, the same thing in many other forums which did not solve the problem. But today i saw the real solution that worked for me. Here it is.
- Goto Start > Run, and type in gpedit.msc.
- Right-click on User Configuration > Administrative Templates.
- Click on Add/Remove Templates… in the pop-up menu.
- Click the button Add… in the dialog box.
- In the file open dialog box named Policy Templates, select system.adm, and click the Open button.
- You will now see the missing items/folders.
- Congratulations!!! You’ve secured the perimeter.